The keys to organizing a successful prom are careful planning and delegating. There is a lot of work to be done, but with the right team in place you can make all of your prom dreams come true. Let these 30 tips help you throw one epic celebration.
1. Gather your planning committee – One person does not a prom make. This is a team effort. Use SignUpGenius event organizing tools, to recruit volunteers.
2. Save the date – When picking the date for prom, consult neighboring schools. You don’t want to limit your choices in venue or entertainment because another school is having prom the same night.
3. Pick the perfect theme – Under the sea, back to the future or a romantic Parisian theme – ideas are endless. After the committee narrows the ideas down to a select few, let students vote on the prom theme so everyone feels involved.
4. Organize sub-committees - Break out into smaller groups early to determine needs and costs in each area. Sub-committee ideas: Budget, Fundraising, Logistics, Decorating, Catering, Entertainment, Tickets and Invitations.
5. Set a budget – It’s not the fun part, but so necessary! You must set a reasonable budget and stick to it. Your fundraising team will never be able to keep up if you have dreams of grandeur beyond your means.
6. Show me the money – From typical fundraisers like car washes and bake sales to more unique ideas like a talent contest, get everyone involved using SignUpGenius to track volunteers and keep tabs on the team’s progress.
SignUpGenius Payments can help you organize fundraisers online!
Get volunteer shifts organized with SignUpGenius! Learn how.
20. Set Up – On the big day, it is all hands on deck. Organize your volunteers and assign tasks easily with SignUpGenius. Yes, this takes a little pre-planning, but it will be worth it on prom night.
21. Bring your checklist – You’ve planned and planned. Don’t assume you will remember everything. Make checklists and bring them with you. Also bring a list of important phone numbers so you can get in touch with anyone you might need to last minute.
By using SignUpGenius to organize volunteers, you can have your go-to list of people, phone numbers and emails on hand at all times via mobile or print out.
25. Clean up – When the party is over, there is still work to be done. You are going to need your best recruits so clean up is as painless as possible.
26. Post-prom party – The party isn’t over! There is always a lot of talk about what to do after prom. To keep the student body safe, assign a committee to keep the party going all night long – safely.
27. Leave a roadmap – Prom is over for you, but next year the planning process will start all over again with a new class. Pass on notes about what worked and what didn’t so they too can have the prom of their dreams.
28. Donate that dress – Want to give back? Check for organizations that accept donations to provide dresses to students in need or kids too sick to attend prom!
29. Memorialize it – Best. Prom. Ever! Remember all of the hard work and funny moments by making a scrapbook. You will really appreciate it in 10, 20, 30 years.
30. R&R – Prom was a success and you deserve a pat on the back. Take a little time to get some rest and relaxation – trip to the spa anyone?
With these tips you will make prom dreams come true. All of the hard work will surely be worth it!
Jennifer Burg is a flip-flop wearing, Gator-loving, picture-taking, deal-hunting Florida gal. As an overachieving mom of two awesome daughters, making to-do lists helps her remain calm and (somewhat) organized. When she's not planning events and party sign-ups, you can find her blogging at www.TheSuburbanMom.com.